Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: interpreting across differing soil surveys

George Teachman
October 08, 1998 09:36AM
Scott,

I'll be the first to plunge in. I'm sure that other NCSS soil scientists reading this are pondering
how to respond also. I am sure that they will provide you with additional guidance and wisdom.
However, the important point is that you've asked the $64,000 question.

In theory, all NCSS standards and procedures are covered in a couple of documents. The National
Soil Survey Handbook, which is available on-line from this site, and the Soil Survey Manual (Ag
Handbook Number 18), which is also available on-line from this site.

What you are asking, is how to do a correlation. That is, correlate one soil with another. Much of this
knowledge and methodology comes from experience. A great many items are considered in doing a
correlation. Not only does one look at the soil physical and chemical properties but also at the use
and management of the soil. In many cases when dealing with data from so long ago, the data
necessary to do a correlation is unavailable. In the instance you are asking about, there is the
additional problem of having to understand, not only potentially two different sets of taxonomy, but of
having to translate both of them to the current taxonomy. It may be that this cannot be done sitting
behind a desk. It may require the personal attention of NRCS field soil scientists. Or, at least an
NRCS soil scientist intimately familar with the area.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. If the area you are talking about is the join between Seneca and
Ontario Counties in New York, your best bet would be to contact Tyrone Goddard, the State Soil
Scientist in New York. If I have guessed wrong about the location, the process would be the same.
Contact the appropriate State Soil Scientist.

Okay, fellow NCSS soil scientists weigh in here and help us out.

George Teachman
Subject Author Views Posted

interpreting across differing soil surveys

scott kinderwater 696 October 02, 1998 11:48AM

Re: interpreting across differing soil surveys

George Teachman 526 October 08, 1998 09:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login