Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reference Soil Climate

October 04, 2016 02:46PM
Is there a reference timeframe for mapping soil climate? Is it the most recent 30 year normals, which shift forward every ten years? Is it a longer period? Is it a fixed period or a moving average? I ask because soil temperature and moisture regimes are subject to change over long periods.

I am responsible for developing provisional ecological site concepts for northern Lower Michigan where a mesic/frigid temperature regimes meet.

I could see a scenario in which we map landscape units that are fixed in space, but subject to changes in interpretations based on changes in climate through time. However, we will continue to refine the position of this boundary as our understanding of the how local elevation and snowfall affects soil temperature. The issue then is whether we should normalize the boundary to a fixed time frame to reflect the soil climate for which the original interpretations were written. In such a scenario, map units would remain where they are as climate changes.

But should the taxonomic classification of the soils shift from frigid to mesic if recent data suggests as much? Or should we include both a frigid and a mesic temperature regime as alternative states? Plant community composition would likely shift depending on local species climate relationships and range boundaries. Interpretations for forest productivity and site index would likely have to change if climate change persists beyond 50 years.
Subject Author Views Posted

Reference Soil Climate

greg.schmidt 1222 October 04, 2016 02:46PM

Re: Reference Soil Climate

Anonymous User 812 October 12, 2016 05:42PM

greg.schmidt 620 October 14, 2016 11:14AM

Anonymous User 716 October 20, 2016 06:28PM

alirezamf 391 December 20, 2017 05:00AM

greg.schmidt 454 August 11, 2017 01:45PM

greg.schmidt 351 August 25, 2017 11:38AM

Anonymous User 416 August 17, 2017 10:17AM

greg.schmidt 436 August 22, 2017 05:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login