Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mapping protected tidal marshes

Bob Engel
January 20, 1999 06:01AM
Jim:
I agree that the protected soils should be in a separate map unit. The plan to collect laboratory data
on these soils also seems like an excelant idea. I would encourage you to collect samples for both the
""natural"" and 'protected' soils. These soils are classified as having sulfidic materials at a depth within
50 or 100 cm. None of the official series has any mention of depth to sulfidic materials, sulfur content,
or change in pH as the soils dry. I suspect there are some chemical changes between the tide flooded
sites growing salt tolerant forbes and the red maple forest of the protected sites. These difference
would also be of interest to the International Committee on Anthropogenic Soils. I noted that the
Matunuck series is classified as a Typic Sulfaquent. This soil has a histic epipedon. It also has a
sandy particle-size class. It will be a Haplic Sulfaquept if it has a ""N"" value of 0.7 or less or less than 8
percent clay or a Histic Sulfaquent. I am assuming the soil has sulfidic materials within 50 cm of the
mineral soil surface.

If you have any other comments or questions feel free to contact me.

Bob Engel
NSSC, Lincoln NE
Subject Author Views Posted

Mapping protected tidal marshes

Jim Turenne 784 December 18, 1998 03:34AM

Re: Mapping protected tidal marshes

Bob Engel 631 January 20, 1999 06:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login