Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: B vs. C horizons

October 06, 2015 04:15AM
Dear Kenneth,

I hope you remember me from the WRB Irish excursion last year.

You have answered correctly, however I found the opportunity to annouce that we published a new paper on (C and R layers) subsolum classification in geoderma.

Regards

You can find it here:http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016706115300604

Abstract

As soil surveys were traditionally conducted in support of agriculture, soil classification tended to focus on upper soil horizons and their characteristics. However, when dealing with environmental issues – such as vegetation ecology or water quality – an integrated knowledge of the soil, soil-to-substratum, and deeper substratum continuum is required. In both World Reference Base for soil resources (WRB) and Soil Taxonomy (ST), the lower boundary for soil classification is arbitrarily set at 2 m, including weathered and continuous rock. However, as soil classification hinges on diagnostic horizons and characteristics, which often occur within the first 100 cm, collecting data on the subsolum is often neglected. We propose a classification system of the subsolum, the structure of which is inspired by WRB. We define Regolite, Saprolite, Saprock and Bedrock as four subsolum reference groups corresponding to different weathering stages. Intergrades of these reference groups can be qualified with principal qualifiers, while morphologic and lithologic characteristics can be presented with supplementary qualifiers. The proposed subsolum classification system is not intended to substitute geological surveys, but rather to complement existing soil classification systems such that at least the whole 2 m can be categorized. Still, whenever desired the system can also be used for deeper materials.

Keywords: World Reference Base; Soil Taxonomy; Regolite; Saprolite; Saprock; Bedrock
Subject Author Views Posted

B vs. C horizons

ttcf 1683 January 23, 2015 09:58AM

Prof.Abughanm 806 October 31, 2015 12:14PM

Anonymous User 1139 January 27, 2015 03:45PM

Jérôme Juilleret 936 October 06, 2015 04:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login