Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chemically root-limiting layers

May 29, 2014 05:33AM
Thank you for explaining about permafrost. After attending the arctic soils field course by Chien-Lu Ping, I was overly impressed at how nearly impossible it is to dig through permafrost that contains over 50% ice lenses. It is a dynamic property, but when present, it prevents root growth.

For the chemically root-restrictive horizons, the salic and sulfuric horizon do restrict root growth but only chemically. Those could be considered dynamic properties, but are certainly important enough and permanent enough to change the classification and interpretation of the soil. The natric horizon can also be physically root-restricting if the columns or prisms are more than 10cm across (very to extremely coarse). Presence of a natric horizon is important enough and permanent enough to change the classification and interpretation of the soil.

Just for consideration. I wonder why the natric horizons with very to extremely coarse prisms or columns are not at least mentioned in the same way that fragipans are listed in the definition of Root Limiting Layers in Chapter 17. They follow the same conventions in how they are used in the keys. The difference with densic, fragipan, and natric is that densic and fragipan by definition have structural cracks spaced at least 10cm apart, while the natric horizon crosses that size limit. So a natric with small structural units is not physically root-restrictive, but one with large units would behave like a sodium-rich densic horizon or fragipan. I also think some mention of the natric, salic, and sulfuric as chemically root limiting could be made in that paragraph just for explanation purpose.

Subject Author Views Posted

Root-limiting layers

John Galbraith 1166 September 01, 2013 04:55PM

Root-limiting layers

Joe Chiaretti 1363 December 13, 2013 01:27PM

Re: Root-limiting layers

greg.schmidt 607 January 05, 2018 02:24PM

Prof.Abughanm 527 March 02, 2018 12:12PM

greg.schmidt 560 March 15, 2018 10:19AM

Chemically root-limiting layers

John Galbraith 940 May 29, 2014 05:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login