Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geologic and not ...

October 18, 2012 07:36AM
Coming from a somewhat different pedological 'education' in central Europe, my view might be biased in a way that I possibly cannot contribute properly here, but we had many discussions on what Joe put as question 1 here, i.e. which are geologic processes and which are pedogenic, so I would like to comment on it.

The processes named in question 1 relate to mineral material that has been transported over a large distance, compared to the spatial variability of soils, and the major part of the transport process itself was not influenced by the soil on which the material has been deposited. This means they are not pedogenic processes, but geologic ones.

For question 2, the problem seems to me that surface sealing is not the same as restricted infiltration, but the latter a consequence of the former. Surface sealing as the process might be a pedogenic process, but infiltration is neither a pedogenic nor geologic process; and restricted infiltration is, strictly speaking, more or less the absence of a process at all. If there is no process going on - infiltration as water entering the soil - the consequence is the restriction or even absence of a special kind of pedogenesis (as far as this is caused by water [vertically] moving in the soil). However, most designations tell about the way how soils form, not how they do not form, and it seems reasonable to stick to this principle.
Subject Author Views Posted

Are these processes pedogenic or geologic?

Joe Chiaretti 1350 October 15, 2012 12:41PM

Re: Are these processes pedogenic or geologic?

Prof.Abughanm 915 December 19, 2014 05:51PM

Prof.Abughanm 914 December 17, 2014 07:32PM

M.A.Hammad 922 December 09, 2014 06:22AM

Geologic and not ...

Einar Eberhardt 1099 October 18, 2012 07:36AM

Re: Geologic and not ...

CBClark 966 December 22, 2014 12:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login